Re: New pg_pwd patch and stuff

От todd brandys
Тема Re: New pg_pwd patch and stuff
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> As for the pg_privileges relation and whatnot...is this something we want
> for v6.3 (can it be done in 2weeks?) or wait until after v6.3 is released?

I don't think (realistically) that such a task could be done in two weeks.  No.
Rather, we should wait until after release 6.3, and then maybe spend some time
debating on what the pg_privileges table should look like.  After the table is
created (the easy part), then it becomes a hunt to find all the places where
privileges are checked and change to the code in these spot (not too bad really).
Finally, we have to develop the code for governing column permissions (this is
the most difficult part of the project).  The query processor must be changed
to check the permissions of each column in all commands.

This would be a tall order for two weeks.  Especially, to be certain that we
had a consensus among the hacker community that what was being done was being
done in the best way possible.

Todd A. Brandys
brandys@eng3.hep.uiuc.edu