Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)

От Bryan Basham
Тема Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> OIDs are a bastardization of the relational model.  If you have to keep
> them, then do so, but their use should be SEVERELY discouraged.

Explain yourself, please.

In my opinion, I view the OID in the same way as I view the SERIAL datatype
in Informix.  It is usually a primary key field in a table.  On an insert,
the DBMS will increment the current serial-maximum (for that table) and insert
the new serial value into that field; thus creating a unique identifier.

There are differences between OID and SERIAL.  The main difference is that
the OID field (always called 'oid') is always present whereas a DB designer
explicitly creates 'id' fields (of SERIAL type).  Thus, postgresql treats
every table as an object (which is not always the case).

Is the SERIAL datatype part of the SQL-92 standard?  Does PostgreSQL plan
to support SERIAL in the future.  This would be an acceptable replacement
for the OID.

-Bryan Basham