Re: [HACKERS] PSQL man page patch

От Andrew Martin
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PSQL man page patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> OK, we never installed this for 6.2 because we were already in Beta.
> Can we do this for 6.3?  Vadim suggested we make this part of libpq, so
> all applications could make use of it.
>
> I have one of the original patches, but not the others. Martin, what do you
> think?  Any other comments on this?
>

> > adding them to the documentation, I thought I'd better supply
> > a patch to the psql man page which documents the .psqlrc file :-)
> > (I forgot yesterday....)
> >

> > Andrew

[DELETED patch to man page for psql.1 which documents suggested addition
of support for a /etc/psqlrc and/or $(HOME)/.psqlrc containing SQL code
to be run whenever psql is started]

Personally, I think this should just be a function of psql not libpq - it's
really there as a convenience to the person running psql to save typing a
few lines of SQL every time (like setting the date format). If you are
running PG/SQL via some other interface (such as Perl), then it is
trivial to write those few lines as part of your Perl script rather than
in a .psqlrc file.

I still have the patch file for the source as well as for the man page

Andrew

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin                             University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin@biochem.ucl.ac.uk    (Home) andrew@stagleys.demon.co.uk
Tel:   (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890                    (Home) +44(0)1372 275775