Re: [HACKERS] I want to change libpq and libpgtcl for better handling of large query results

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] I want to change libpq and libpgtcl for better handling of large query results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Getting a query result from Tcl/Tk (pg_select function) uses PQexec.
> But PQexec IS GETTING ALL THE RECORDS IN MEMORY and after that user can
> handle query results.
> But what if table has thousand records ? Probably I would need more than
> 512 Mb of RAM in order to get a report finished.

This issue has come up before.  The accepted solution is to open a
cursor, and fetch whatever records you need.  The backend still
generates the full result, but the front end requests the records it
wants.

Does that not work in your case?

--
Bruce Momjian