Re: Concerns about this release

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Concerns about this release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> This is the clash of views between OO and R parts of ORDB - tho OO part
> _needs_ oid and a better support structure for OIDs, while the classical
> RDB (aka. bean-counting ;) part has not need for them..

What's that have to do with it?  The direction we are moving in is that
the globally unique identifier of an object is tableoid+rowoid, not just
oid; but I fail to see why that's less support than before.  If
anything, I think it's better support.  The tableoid tells you which
table the object is in, and thus its type, whereas a single global OID
sequence gives you no information at all about what the object
represented by an OID is or where to look for it.