Re: Vaccum Stalling

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Vaccum Stalling
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> writes:
> Scenario - a large table was not being vacuumed correctly, there now ~
> 15 million dead tuples that account for approximately 20%-25% of the
> table.  Vacuum appears to be stalling - ran for approximately 10 hours
> before I killed it.  I hooked up to the process with gdb and this looks
> a bit suspicious to me.

Looks perfectly normal to me.  Reads in btbulkdelete are exactly where
I'd expect 7.4's vacuum to be spending the bulk of its wait time on a
large table, because that's a logical-order traversal of the index, and
cannot benefit from any sequential-access advantage.  (As of 8.2 we
are able to do this with a physical-order traversal, which can be a
whole lot faster.)

If you can afford to lock the table against writes for awhile,
reindexing might help by bringing the index back into physical order.