Re: Feature proposal

От Wojciech Strzałka
Тема Re: Feature proposal
Дата
Re: Feature proposal  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
 Yea - I'll try to optimize as I had a plan to write to
 pgsql.performance for rescue anyway.

 I don't know exact hardware specification yet - known facts at the
 moment are:
 Sun Turgo?? (SPARC) with 32 cores
 17GB RAM (1GB for shared buffers)
 hdd - ?
 OS - Solaris 10 - the system is running in the zone (Solaris
 virtualization) - however during test nothing else is utilizing the
 machine.
 PostgreSQL 8.4.4 64bit

 The data set is 9mln rows - about 250 columns
 The result database size is ~9GB
 Load time ~2h 20min
 CPU utilization - 1,2% (half of the one core)
 iostat shows writes ~6MB/s,  20% busy
 when I run 2 loads in parallel the CPU is split to 2*0,6%, hdd write
 ~7MB (almost the same)

 postgresql.conf changes:
 checkpoint_segments - 128
 checkpoint_timeout - 30min
 shared_buffers - 1GB
 maintenance_work_mem - 128MB

 does it looks like my HDD is the problem? or maybe the Solaris
 virtualization?

 what's also interesting - table is empty when I start (by truncate)
 but while the COPY is working, I see it grows (by \d+ or
 pg_total_relation_size) about 1MB per second
 what I'd expect it should grow at checkpoints only, not all the
 time - am I wrong?

--
Pozdrowienia,
 Wojciech Strzałka