Re: Speeding up query pulling comments from pg_catalog

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Speeding up query pulling comments from pg_catalog
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi.  I've got an app that queries pg_catalog to find any table columns that
> have comments.  After setting up PgBadger, it was #2 on my list of time
> consuming queries, with min/max/avg duration of 199/2351/385 ms (across
> ~12,000 executions logged).
> I'm wondering if there are any ways to speed this query up, including if
> there are better options for what to query.

> ag_reach=> EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, VERBOSE,BUFFERS,TIMING, COSTS)
> SELECT c.relname AS table,a.attname AS
> column,pg_catalog.col_description(a.attrelid, a.attnum) AS comment
> FROM pg_catalog.pg_attribute a, pg_class c
> WHERE  a.attrelid = c.oid
> AND pg_catalog.col_description(a.attrelid, a.attnum) IS NOT NULL;

Unfortunately, the planner isn't smart enough to inline the
col_description() function.  But if you do so manually you'll end up
with something like

SELECT c.relname AS table, a.attname AS column, d.description AS comment
FROM
  pg_catalog.pg_attribute a JOIN pg_catalog.pg_class c ON a.attrelid = c.oid
  LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description d ON d.classoid = c.tableoid and d.objoid = c.oid and d.objsubid = a.attnum
WHERE d.description IS NOT NULL;

For me, that formulation is quite a bit faster than the original ---
what you wrote basically forces a nestloop join against pg_description,
and then to add insult to injury, has to search pg_description a second
time for each hit.