Re: Why is indexonlyscan so darned slow?

От Joshua Berkus
Тема Re: Why is indexonlyscan so darned slow?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff,

That's in-RAM speed ... I ran the query twice to make sure the index was cached, and it didn't get any better.  And I
meant5X per byte rather than 5X per tuple.

I talked this over with Haas, and his opinion is that we have a LOT of overhead in the way we transverse indexes,
especiallylookups which happen once per leaf node instead of in bulk.    Certainly the performance I'm seeing would be
consistentwith that idea.

I'll try some multi-column covering indexes next to see how it looks.