Re: String Manipulation

От Christine Penner
Тема Re: String Manipulation
Дата
Re: String Manipulation  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
Список pgsql-general
Sam,

The problem with making it a numeric field is that I have seen things
like A123, #123a or 23-233. This is only here to make most sorting
work better, not perfect. It all depends on how they enter the data.
Wont the different formats make it harder to convert to a number?

I tried your suggestion and haven't had any luck. For a quick test I did this:
select b_lot_or_st_no, substring('1a','^[0-9]+') as TEST from F_BUILDINGS

With this I tried using b_lot_or_st_no instead of 1a, I also replaced
the , with for like they do in the manual. I looked through the
manual but I'm still stuck.

Christine