Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> First question: Do we even want this?  Generally, when a program
> writes to a file, we rely on the operating system to decide when that
> data should be written back to disk.  We have to override that
> distinction for things internal to PostgreSQL because we need certain
> bits of data to reach the disk in a certain order, but it's unclear to
> me how far outside the core database system we want to extend that.
> Are we going to have psql fsync() data it writes to a file when \o is
> used, for example?  That would seem to me to be beyond insane, because
> we have no idea whether the user actually needs that file to be
> durable.  It is a better bet that a pg_dump command's output needs
> durability, of course, but I feel that we shouldn't just go disabling
> the filesystem cache one program at a time without some guiding
> principle.

FWIW, I find the premise pretty dubious.  People don't normally expect
programs to fsync their standard output, and the argument that pg_dump's
output is always critical data doesn't withstand inspection.  Also,
I don't understand what pg_dump should do if it fails to fsync.  There
are too many cases where that would fail (eg, output piped to a program)
for it to be treated as an error condition.  But if it isn't reported as
an error, then how much durability guarantee are we really adding?

I think this might be better addressed by adding something to backup.sgml
pointing out that you'd better fsync or sync your backups before assuming
that they can't be lost.