Re: UUID v7

От Sergey Prokhorenko
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrey,

I think this phrase is outdated: "This function can optionally accept a timestamp used instead of current time.
This allows implementation of k-way sotable identifiers."

This phrase is wrong: "Both functions return a version 4 (random) UUID."

For this phrase the reason is unclear and the phrase is most likely incorrect:
if large batches of UUIDs are generated at the
+   same time it's possible that some UUIDs will store a time that is slightly later
+   than their actual generation time

Sergey Prokhorenko

sergeyprokhorenko@yahoo.com.au

On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 at 09:55:04 am GMT+3, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2024, at 01:38, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I liked the feature to generate UUIDv7 based on timestamp too.
> But following the spec seems more important than a nice feature to me.

PFA v15. Changes: removed timestamp argument, incorporated Jelte’s documentation addons.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.