Re: appropriate sort_mem & shared buffers

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: appropriate sort_mem & shared buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de> writes:
> for a machine with 2 gig mem (1ghz pIII) is
> sort_mem =3D 128 # 64 Mebibyte

sort_mem is expressed in Kbytes, so you are not getting the results you
think.  sort_mem = 65536 would equate to 64MB.

> shared_buffers =3D 65536 # 512 Mebibyte
> appropriate and reasonable?

I'd say both of those are on the high side.  I'd go with half or a
quarter of those numbers as a starting point, ie sort_mem maybe about
16meg (16000), shared_buffers also maybe 16000.  But since you didn't
say how many concurrent backends you expect to run, this is all just
theorizing in the dark.