Re: Sequence Cleanup

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Sequence Cleanup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> I'd like ALTER SEQUENCE to be transaction safe.

I think that's inherently impossible without breaking the existing
behavior of setval/nextval, which is something we will not accept.
ALTER SEQUENCE would be better thought of as a form of setval with
even more parameters, but not fundamentally different semantics.

> Can I assume that
> a standard simple_heap_update() is valid against the sequence,

You can be certain that it is not.  There can be only one tuple in a
sequence table.