Re: Immodest Proposal: pg_catalog.pg_ddl

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Immodest Proposal: pg_catalog.pg_ddl
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> What I would like to see is some builtin functions that give me the
> table's DDL, just as pg_dump does. Extra nice would be complementary
> functions that also give me skeleton select statements for each table or
> view.

Yeah, what I first thought David was proposing was a consolidated view
similar to pg_indexes, that could give you an up-to-date DDL definition
for anything in the system.  This has been proposed in the past as a way
to migrate pg_dump functionality into the backend.  I don't think it
will actually work for that (pg_dump needs more understanding of what
it's doing than just blindly copying complete CREATE commands) --- but
it still seems potentially useful for manual operations.