Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Note that "crypto" for this purpose generally means reversible encryption;
>> I've never heard that one-way hashes are illegal anywhere.  So password
>> hashing such as md5 is fine in core, and a stronger hash would be too.
>> But pulling in pgcrypto lock, stock, and barrel is not OK.

> So it would be an issue if pgcrypto.so links directly to libpqcommon?

No, I don't see why that'd be an issue.  What we can't do is have
libpgcommon depending on pgcrypto.so, or containing anything more than
one-way-hash functionality itself.

> Because I would like to just change my set of patches to have the SHA
> and the encoding functions in src/backend/libpq instead of src/common,
> and then have pgcrypto be compiled with a link to those files. That's
> a cleaner design btw, more in line with what is done for md5..

I'm confused.  We need that code in both libpq and backend, no?
src/common is the place for stuff of that description.