Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.
Дата
Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-committers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Just curious, but isn't this one of the key points about pg_autovacuum in
> the first place?  So that you vacuum what needs to be vacuum'd, and not
> *everything* ... ?  Shouldn't the answer to the 'bandwidth issue' change
> to 'you should install/use pg_autovacuum'?

No, not really, but I think it's much more likely that you'd want to
enable vacuum delay for autovacuum-commanded vacuums than vacuums
commanded interactively.  Or, if you still prefer the old-tech way of
performing routine vacuums from a cron script, you'd probably turn on
vacuum delay in that cron script.

I think we *should* add to autovacuum a parameter to let it set
vacuum_delay for its vacuums, and maybe even default to having it on.
But I'm unconvinced we want any delay as the global default.