Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> If I understand this test scenario properly, there are no duplicate
> queries, so that each iteration creates a new hashtable entry (possibly
> evicting an old one).  And it's a single-threaded test, so that there
> can be no benefit from reduced locking.

After looking more closely, it's *not* single-threaded, but each pgbench
thread is running through the same sequence of 10000 randomly generated
SQL statements.  So everything depends on how nearly those clients stay
in step.  I bet they'd stay pretty nearly in step, though --- any process
lagging behind would find all the hashtable entries already created, and
thus be able to catch up relative to the ones in the lead which are being
slowed by having to write out their query texts.  So it seems fairly
likely that this scenario is greatly stressing the case where multiple
processes redundantly create the same hashtable entry.  In any case,
while the same table entry does get touched once-per-client over a short
interval, there's no long-term reuse of table entries.  So I still say
this isn't at all representative of real-world use of pg_stat_statements.