Re: Notify enhancement

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Notify enhancement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Tom Lane asked:
>
>> What "relation constraint"?  They can be any identifier you want.
>
> To clarify, it would be nice to use any arbitrary string (perhaps up
> to NAMEDATALEN), rather than bumping into the rules for valid identifiers:
>
> LISTEN notify.name.like.this;
>
> LISTEN table.mutation;
>
> It would also make things like this act more intuitively:
>
> LISTEN nosuchschema.abc;
>
> NOTIFY foo.bar.abc;

If it's going to be an arbitrary string it will have to be single quoted,
like other string literals, and unlike identifiers. But I honestly can't
see why we would introduce such an unnecessary backwards incompatibility.

You can use $ as a delimiter if you want some sort of hierarchy of events,
e.g.

LISTEN foo$bar;

Incidentally, I think we will also need to limit the length of the message
string if we're going to store this in shared memory. I'm currently
thinking of NAMEDATALEN per message, but I am open to argument.

cheers

andrew