Re: [HACKERS] issue: record or row variable cannot be part of multiple-item INTO list

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] issue: record or row variable cannot be part of multiple-item INTO list
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] issue: record or row variable cannot be part ofmultiple-item INTO list  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if that's true or not.  I am sure, though, that since
>> we've done B for twenty years we can't just summarily change to A.

> I agree, but so what?  You said that we couldn't adopt Pavel's
> proposal for this reason:

> ===
> IIRC, the reason for disallowing that is that it's totally unclear what
> the semantics ought to be.  Is that variable a single target (demanding
> a compatible composite-valued column from the source query), or does it
> eat one source column per field within the record/row?  The former is 100%
> inconsistent with what happens if the record/row is the only INTO target;
> while the latter would be very bug-prone, and it's especially unclear what
> ought to happen if it's an as-yet-undefined record variable.
> ===

> And I'm saying - that argument is bogus.  Regardless of what people
> want or what we have historically done in the case where the
> record/row is the only INTO target, when there are multiple targets it
> seems clear that they want to match up the query's output columns with
> the INTO targets 1:1.  So let's just do that.

Arguing that that's what people want (even if I granted your argument,
which I do not) does not make the inconsistency magically disappear,
nor will it stop people from being confused by that inconsistency.
Furthermore, if we do it like this, we will be completely backed into
a backwards-compatibility corner if someone does come along and say
"hey, I wish I could do the other thing".

I'm fine with doing something where we add new notation to dispel
the ambiguity.  I don't want to put in another layer of inconsistency
and then have even more backwards-compatibility problems constraining
our response to the inevitable complaints.