Re: [HACKERS] Sequences....

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Sequences....
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> [ several of us like making SERIAL a new data type ]

> My guess is that 6.5 is too close to be making such sweeping changes,

I agree, we should probably not expect to squeeze such a change in for
6.5.

Although we've been hand-waving about how this could be done, I think
it would require either ugly hackery or some nontrivial extensions to
the system.  AFAIR, for example, there is no data-type-specific code
that gets executed when NULL is assigned to a column, therefore no
easy way for a SERIAL data type to get control and substitute a suitable
default value.  Probably we'd end up still having to use a "DEFAULT"
clause to make that happen.  It seems to need some thought, anyway.