Re: psql UPDATE field [tab] expands to DEFAULT?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql UPDATE field [tab] expands to DEFAULT?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Nosing around in tab-complete.c, I notice a fair number of other
> places where we're doing COMPLETE_WITH() with just a single possible
> completion.  Knowing what we know now, in each one of those places
> libreadline will suppose that that completion is the only syntactically
> legal continuation, and throw away anything else the user might've typed.
> We should probably inspect each of those places to see if that's really
> desirable behavior ... but I didn't muster the energy to do that this
> morning.

I took a closer look and realized that this isn't some magic behavior of
arcane parts of libreadline; it's more like self-inflicted damage.  It
happens because tab-complete.c's complete_from_const() is doing exactly
what its comment says it does:

/*
 * This function returns one fixed string the first time even if it doesn't
 * match what's there, and nothing the second time. This should be used if
 * there is only one possibility that can appear at a certain spot, so
 * misspellings will be overwritten.  The string to be passed must be in
 * completion_charp.
 */

This is unlike complete_from_list(), which will only return completions
that match the text-string-so-far.

I have to wonder whether complete_from_const()'s behavior is really
a good idea; I think there might be an argument for getting rid of it
and using complete_from_list() even for one-element lists.

We certainly didn't do anybody any favors in the refactoring we did in
4f3b38fe2, which removed the source-code difference between calling
complete_from_const() and calling complete_from_list() with just one list
item.  But even before that, I really doubt that many people hacking on
tab-complete.c had internalized the idea that COMPLETE_WITH_CONST()
implied a higher degree of certainty than COMPLETE_WITH_LIST() with one
list item.  I'm pretty sure I'd never understood that.

Both of those functions go back to the beginnings of tab-complete.c,
so there's not much available in the history to explain the difference
in behavior (and the discussion of the original patch, if any, is lost
to the mists of time --- our archives for pgsql-patches only go back to
2000).  But my own feeling about this is that there's no situation in
which I'd expect tab completion to wipe out text I'd typed.

Thoughts?