Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Well ... for my money I never expected LIMIT to be meaningful in
> the sense of being deterministic without an ORDER BY clause.

> But ... that doesn't mean that some folks might not want to use
> it differently.  What if LIMIT 2 were more efficient that COUNT(*)
> in order to determine if more than one row satisfies a condition?

Hmm, that's an excellent example indeed.  A slight variant that is
even more plausible is LIMIT 1 when you just want to know if there
is any tuple satisfying the WHERE condition, and you don't really
care about which one you get.

> I don't know if that's even a remote possibility given the current
> implementation,

Absolutely --- COUNT(*) doesn't provide any way of stopping early,
so a LIMITed query could be far faster.  Given an appropriate plan
of course.  The problem right now is that the optimizer is quite
likely to pick the wrong plan.