Improving collation-dependent indexes in system catalogs

От Tom Lane
Тема Improving collation-dependent indexes in system catalogs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Awhile back we noticed that a couple of system catalogs had
acquired indexes on "text" columns, which were unsafe because
their sort order was collation-dependent, so that cloning
template0 with a different database collation could yield
broken indexes.  We fixed this in commit 0b28ea79 with a
bit of a hack: we said it's okay to have such indexes as long
as they use the text_pattern_ops opclass, making them
collation insensitive.

While fooling with the idea of making type "name" collation
aware, it occurred to me that there's a better, more general
answer, which is to insist that collation-aware system catalog
columns must be marked with C collation.  This rule would apply
without modification to both "text" and "name" columns.  In the
wake of commit 5e0928005, it also means that pg_statistic data
for such a column would port safely across a database collation
change, which up to now it does not.  And I think we could have
the bootstrap code apply the rule automatically, making for one
less way to screw up when changing catalog definitions.

Thoughts, objections?