Re: pgsql: Add parallel-aware hash joins.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Add parallel-aware hash joins.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Yeah, I proposed this a decade ago but never had the wits to write the
>> code.

> It shouldn't be too hard, right? Leaving defining the file format,
> parsing it, creating the new schedule with depencencies and adapting
> tests aside (hah), it mostly seems a relatively simple graph ordering /
> topological sort problem, right?

Yeah.  We already have topo sort code in pg_dump, maybe we could push that
into someplace like src/common or src/fe_utils?  Although pg_dump hasn't
got any need for edge weights, so maybe sharing code isn't worth it.

We could flush the existing schedule files and use a simple format like
    testname: list of earlier tests it depends on
(I guess there would be more properties than just the dependencies,
but still not hard to parse.)

> If we keep the timings from an earlier
> run somwhere, we can use the timing of runs as edge weights, making the
> schedule better.

I think we could just use constant values hand-coded in the schedule file.
It might occasionally be worth updating them, but realistically it's not
going to matter that they be very accurate.  Probably weights like 1, 2,
and 3 would be plenty ;-)