Re: timestamp with time zone a la sql99

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: timestamp with time zone a la sql99
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> That is needed no matter what change you do if you want old programs that
>> use the current timestamp with time zone to work. Today you don't get back
>> the same time zone as you insert, programs might depend on that.

> [ shrug... ]  We've made much larger changes than that in the name of
> standards compliance.

BTW, even if you do want output like that, that doesn't make two
datatypes a good idea.  It'd be better to add a couple of DateStyle-like
formatting options:* rotate all timestamps into current TimeZone for display, or not;* display the timezone
numerically,or as originally given.

A DateStyle kind of GUC variable is a lot less dangerous than what you
were proposing, because getting it wrong doesn't mean you have the wrong
data stored in the database ...