Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 6 Apr 2024, at 08:02, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>> Why do we need to check for the versions at all?  We should just check for the functions we need.  At least that's
alwaysbeen the normal approach in configure.

> We could, but finding a stable set of functions which identifies the version of
> OpenSSL *and* LibreSSL that we want, and their successors, while not matching
> any older versions seemed more opaque than testing two numeric values.

I don't think you responded to Peter's point at all.  The way autoconf
is designed to work is explicitly NOT to try to identify the exact
version of $whatever.  Rather, the idea is to probe for the API
features that you want to rely on: functions, macros, struct fields,
or the like.  If you can't point to an important API difference
between 1.0.2 and 1.1.1, why drop support for 1.0.2?