Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

Список
Период
Сортировка
От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Дерево обсуждения
PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Fernando Hevia", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (PFC, )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
   Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
     Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
      Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Greg Stark, )
Paolo Rizzi <> writes:
> Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a
> smartphone??? Intriguing...
> Did anyone ever actually tried that???

If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
sure.  Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.

The real issue with the kind of hardware you're describing is going to
be the finite write lifetime of a flash device.  For a low-update
application it'll probably be okay, but PG could very easily destroy a
flash in no time if you aren't careful to minimize updates.