Re: Is a SERIAL column a "black box", or not?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is a SERIAL column a "black box", or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
> Do both. Return SERIAL to being a macro and implement the SQL IDENTITY
> construct as the black box version.

Doesn't SQL IDENTITY have a number of properties that are significantly
different from serial/nextval?  I wasn't really volunteering to
implement a large new feature to make this happen ;-)

Also, I'm not sure how "black boxy" it can be without buying right back
into the pg_dump problems.  pg_dump has to be able to see what's inside,
I think.