Question: Why Are File Descriptors Not Closed and Accounted for PostgreSQL Backends?

От Srinath Reddy Sadipiralla
Тема Question: Why Are File Descriptors Not Closed and Accounted for PostgreSQL Backends?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi PostgreSQL Community,
when a backend process starts, pq_init is called where it opens a FD during CreateWaitEventSet()

if (!AcquireExternalFD())
{
/* treat this as though epoll_create1 itself returned EMFILE */
elog(ERROR, "epoll_create1 failed: %m");
}
set->epoll_fd = epoll_create1(EPOLL_CLOEXEC);

but we didn't closed or called ReleaseExternalFD() for accounting,lets say if we have multiple clients connected and
areactively running queries, won't the max number of open FDs (ulimit -n) limit of the system gets reached and cause
"Toomany open files issue"?

Regards
Srinath Reddy