RE: [GENERAL] Loading a database, why do I need superuser?

От Gilley, Charles H.
Тема RE: [GENERAL] Loading a database, why do I need superuser?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Halt, stop, cease this discussion!  :)  Seriously, I meant to say Postgres
superuser, I really do understand the differences between root and the
normal
pgsql account.  Unfortunately, I don't own the Postgres account either.
Sorry for the ambiguity.

Back to the copy issue:  Okay, I understand the security issue with regards
to the backend.  Let me guess - that's why one has the option of the
stdin/out
feature.

About this front end copy command... from psql I try:

    \copy tblauthors from tblAuthors.txt;

which reports a broken pipe.  I note that the syntax for the front
end copy command does not mention quoting the filename or having
the option of saying 'using delimiters...'.

From the command line, I try the same command:

    cat tblAuthors.txt | psql -d gilley -c copy tblAuthors.txt from
stdin using delimiters ','

    or

    cat tblAuthors.txt | psql -d gilley -c copy tblAuthors.txt from
stdin

which yield

    ERROR:  parser: syntax error at or near ""
    Broken Pipe

What is the correct magic spell?

Charles Gilley - by the way, thanks for the quick responses.