Re: Wrong docs on wal_buffers?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Wrong docs on wal_buffers?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Samuel Gendler <sgendler@ideasculptor.com> writes:
> Does it not seem that this insistence on shipping a default config that
> works out of the box on every system incurs a dramatic penalty when it comes
> to getting a useful postgres config for a production system?

> I'm sure this argument has probably been done to death on this list (I'm a
> relatively recent subscriber),

No kidding.  Please review the archives.

The short answer is that even though modern machines tend to have plenty
of RAM, they don't tend to have correspondingly large default settings
of SHMMAX etc.  If we crank up the default shared-memory-usage settings
to the point where PG won't start in a couple of MB, we won't accomplish
a thing in terms of "making it work out of the box"; we'll just put
another roadblock in front of newbies getting to try it at all.

Сообщение: Re: Wrong docs on wal_buffers?
Сообщение: Re: Wrong docs on wal_buffers?