Re: sslinfo extension - add notbefore and notafter timestamps

От Cary Huang
Тема Re: sslinfo extension - add notbefore and notafter timestamps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello

 > The way we typically ship extensions in contrib/ is to not create a new base
 > version .sql file for smaller changes like adding a few functions.  For this
 > patch we should keep --1.2.sql and instead supply a 1.2--1.3.sql with the new
 > functions.

Thank you for pointing this out. It makes sense to me.

 > +    errmsg("failed to convert tm to timestamp")));
 >
 > I think this error is too obscure for the user to act on, what we use elsewhere
 > is "timestamp out of range" and I think thats more helpful.  I do wonder if
 > there is ever a legitimate case when this can fail while still having a
 > authenticated client connection?

My bad here, you are right. "timestamp out of range" is a much better error message. However, in an authenticated
clientconnection, there should not be a legitimate case where the not before and not after can fall out of range. The
"notbefore" and "not after" timestamps in a X509 certificate are normally represented by ASN1, which has maximum
timestampof December 31, 9999. The timestamp data structure in PostgreSQL on the other hand can support year up to June
3,5874898. Assuming the X509 certificate is generated correctly and no data corruptions happening (which is unlikely),
theconversion from ASN1 to timestamp shall not result in out of range error.

Perhaps calling "tm2timestamp(&pgtm_time, 0, NULL, &ts)" without checking the return code would be just fine. I see
someother usages of tm2timstamp() in other code areas also skip checking the return code.

 > I have addressed the issues above in a new v5 patchset which includes a new
 > patch for setting stable validity on the test certificates (the notBefore time
 > was arbitrarily chosen to match the date of opening up the tree for v17 - we
 > just need a date in the past).  Your two patches are rolled into a single one
 > with a commit message added to get started on that part as well.

thank you so much for addressing the ssl tests to make "not before" and "not after" timestamps static in the test
certificateand also adjusting 003_sslinfo.pl to expect the new static timestamps in the v5 patches. I am able to apply
bothand all tests are passing. I did not know this test certificate could be changed by `cd src/test/ssl && make -f
sslfiles.mk`,but now I know, thanks to you :p.

Best regards

Cary Huang
HighGo Software Inc. (Canada)
cary.huang@highgo.ca
www.highgo.ca

Сообщение: Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal.
Сообщение: Re: CommandStatus from insert returning when using a portal.