Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Antoine, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (<>, )
  Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance  (Markus Schaber, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (<>, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Christopher Browne, )
 Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (<>, )
  Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(  (Antoine, )

Antoine <> writes:
> So... seeing as I didn't really do any investigation as to setting
> default sizes for storage and the like - I am wondering whether our
> performance problems (a programme running 1.5x slower than two weeks
> ago) might not be coming from the db (or rather, my maintaining of it).

That does sound like a lack-of-vacuuming problem.  If the performance
goes back where it was after VACUUM FULL, then you can be pretty sure
of it.  Note that autovacuum is not designed to fix this for you: it
only ever issues regular vacuum not vacuum full.

> I couldn't find an easy way to check for disk accessings.

Watch the output of "vmstat 1" or "iostat 1" for info about that.

Сообщение: Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(
Сообщение: Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(