Re: BUG #18239: select position ('' in 'A') returns 1

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #18239: select position ('' in 'A') returns 1
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Sunday, December 10, 2023, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> select position ('' in 'A') returns 1
>> Thus, case a field has an empty string while, checking positions in another
>> string, it seems to always fit the position 1.

> Just as an empty set is a subset of all sets the empty string is a
> substring within all strings.

Yes.  This behavior is explicitly required by the SQL standard:

         2) If <string position expression> is specified, then

            Case:

            a) If the first <string value expression> has a length of 0
              (zero), then the result is 1 (one).

            b) [ otherwise, ... ]

> I do not believe we document or refer to this external rule anywhere though.

No, our documentation for position() is just one sentence.  With the
new function-table layout it'd be possible to add a second example
to exhibit this behavior, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
Personally I don't find this surprising.