Re: Unicode upper() bug still present

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Unicode upper() bug still present
Дата
Re: Unicode upper() bug still present  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> Tatsuo Ishii kirjutas E, 20.10.2003 kell 15:37:
>> There's absolutely no relationship between database encoding and
>> locale.

> How does the system then use locale for sorting and not for upper/lower
> ?

LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are independent settings.  But in any case
Tatsuo is correct about the long-term direction we need to take ---
in order to come anywhere near SQL-standard behavior, we have to support
multiple locales simultaneously, and that means that the standard C
library's API isn't gonna do it.

>> IMO depending on the system locale is a completely wrong
>> design decision and we should go toward for having our own collate
>> data.

I noticed by chance that glibc has a "reentrant locale" API that seems
to allow for efficient access to multiple locales concurrently.  Perhaps
it would be a reasonable solution to support multiple locales only on
machines that have this library.  If we have to write our own locale
support it's likely to be a long time coming :-(