Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> So looked at from that perspective, our mistake was to try to cram too many
> features into 7.4 ... more than could possibly get done in 6-8 months.

It's more that we thought that all these features would get done in
about the same timeframe, and (not too surprisingly) some got done and
some didn't.

> Me, I'd be in favor of releasing more frequently ... I felt that we
> waited too long for 7.4.

Yeah, this is why I'm not in favor of slipping more.

Time was that we had a major release every 3 or 4 months.  As the project
matures I think it's appropriate for the cycle to get slower: a lot of
low-hanging fruit is gone, so we have larger jobs to tackle, plus users
are using PG for larger databases and don't want to face major-version
changes too often.  But I don't want it to get to be a year on average
between releases, at least not yet.  8 or 9 months seems reasonable, and
by that standard we're overdue.