Re: Qualified tables in error messages

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Qualified tables in error messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> Considering I have several different FTP tables in various schemas, this
> message doesn't have much detail. The "Error Message Style Guide" does
> not indicate one way or the other whether tables, etc. should be fully
> qualified or not. Possibly not in ERROR, but qualified makes sense for
> DETAIL.

I deliberately haven't done that because it would be awfully noisy.
It would be wrong to write only one set of quotes:
ERROR: table "schema.foo" does not exist

since it's not clear here if the dot is in the name or not.  We'd have
to write
ERROR: table "schema"."foo" does not exist

which is just plain ugly.

There are error fields defined in the SQL spec for table name, schema
name, etc, and at some point we should consider expanding the
error-message structure to allow passing those fields back to the
client --- *not* as part of the text messages, but as separate detail
fields.  Didn't get around to it for 7.4 though.