Re: BUG #2428: ERROR: out of memory, running INSERT SELECT statement

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #2428: ERROR: out of memory, running INSERT SELECT statement
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com> writes:
> On May 11, 2006, at 4:42 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> As your database is defined, this SQL statement will return
>> approximately 4 trillion rows, by my calculation. As you say, it
>> returns no rows at all when the database is empty.

> *slaps forehead* I totally missed the "!=" in the where clause, Doh!
> Thanks for hitting me with a clue-stick.

I'm still wondering why you got "out of memory", though.  I'd have
expected that to grind for a really long time, gradually filling your
disk, until you got an out-of-disk-space kind of error; if you didn't
notice and stop it first.  There aren't (supposed to be) any long-term
memory leaks in query processing, other than than the known issue of
pending trigger events, which you say you haven't got on this table.