Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I must be missing something obvious, but why don't we compress the
> xlogs? They appear to be quite compressable (>75%) with standard gzip...

Might be worth experimenting with, but I'm a bit dubious.  We've seen
several tests showing that XLogInsert's calculation of a CRC for each
WAL record is a bottleneck (that's why we backed off from 64-bit CRC
to 32-bit recently).  I'd think that any nontrivial compression
algorithm would be vastly slower than CRC ...