Re: [INTERFACES] Problems with postgres V6.5.3 large objects

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Problems with postgres V6.5.3 large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Douglas Thomson <dougt@mugc.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
>> Most of the developers have not wanted to put much effort into large
>> objects, since where we really want to go is to eliminate tuple size
>> restrictions; once that happens large objects will be much less
>> necessary.

> I am curious about the planned interface once tuple size restrictions
> are eliminated. I am using large objects, and want to make my
> application port as painlessly as possible.

This hasn't been thought about much, AFAIK.  I agree that with large
fields in tuples, it'd be nice to have operations that read or write
portions of fields, and also ways to read/write binary data without any
encoding.  But I'm not real sure what the API should look like.  Are
there precedents in other DBMSes?