Re: Memory contexts reset for trigger invocations

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Memory contexts reset for trigger invocations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Wouldn't it be better to reset an appropriate context after each
> invocation? Yes, that'd require some care to manage the lifetime of
> tuples returned by triggers, but that seems OK?

I'm not sure that we can change much here without effectively breaking
the trigger-function API.  I doubt that there's enough win to be had
to justify forcing external PLs etc to change.

Having said that, I recall that that API was kind of a pain in the
rear when I was redoing plpgsql's handling of composite variables
last year.  Don't recall details right now (ENOCAFFEINE).  Maybe
a wholesale rethink would be justified?  But I'm not excited about
just twiddling things at the margin.