Re: Schema version management

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Schema version management
Дата
Re: Schema version management  (Joel Jacobson <joel@trustly.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joel Jacobson <joel@trustly.com> writes:
> If the entire function identity arguments would be included in the filename,
> two dumps of the same schema in two different databases
> would be guaranteed to produce the same dump.

> This would render some very long filenames for functions with many arguments,

Thus, not implausibly, causing the dump to fail entirely on some
filesystems.  Case sensitivity, encoding issues, and special characters
in names (eg slashes or backslashes, depending on platform) are
additional pain points.  This does not sound like a good plan from here.

Taking a step or two back, it seems to me that the thrust of your
proposal is essentially to throw away all dump ordering information,
which does not seem like a particularly good idea either.  It certainly
will not lead to a dump that can be restored reliably.  If the use-case
for this is database comparisons, I think we'd be a lot better off to
write a postprocessing tool for regular dumps to perform such
comparisons, rather than whacking pg_dump around to the point where it's
unable to perform its primary function.