Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
=?UTF-8?B?SHJpc2hpa2VzaCAo4KS54KWD4KS34KWA4KSV4KWH4KS2IOCkruClh+CkueClh+CkguCkpuCksw==?= =?UTF-8?B?4KWHKQ==?=
<hashinclude@gmail.com>writes:
> 2009/8/26 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>> Do the data columns have to be bigint, or would int be enough to hold
>> the expected range?

> For the 300-sec tables I probably can drop it to an integer, but for
> 3600 and 86400 tables (1 hr, 1 day) will probably need to be BIGINTs.
> However, given that I'm on a 64-bit platform (sorry if I didn't
> mention it earlier), does it make that much of a difference?

Even more so.

> How does a float ("REAL") compare in terms of SUM()s ?

Casting to float or float8 is certainly a useful alternative if you
don't mind the potential for roundoff error.  On any non-ancient
platform those will be considerably faster than numeric.  BTW,
I think that 8.4 might be noticeably faster than 8.3 for summing
floats, because of the switch to pass-by-value for them.

Сообщение: Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data
Сообщение: Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data