Re: FullTransactionId changes are causing portability issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: FullTransactionId changes are causing portability issues
Дата
Re: FullTransactionId changes are causing portability issues  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список buildfarm-members
> On 2019-05-23 13:46:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not really excited about adopting a position that PG will only
>> build on GCC and clones thereof.

> That's not what I said though? Not supporting one compiler, on an OS
> that's effectively not being developed anymore, with a pretty
> indefensible behaviour, requiring not insignificant work by everyone,
> isn't the same as standardizing on gcc. I mean, we obviously are going
> to continue at the absolute very least gcc, llvm/clang and msvc.

I think you're vastly overstating the case for refusing support for this.
Adding "#ifndef FRONTEND" to relevant headers isn't a huge amount of work
--- it's certainly far less of a problem than the Microsoft-droppings
we've had to put in in so many places.  The only real issue in my mind
is the lack of buildfarm support for detecting that we need to do so.

Also relevant here is that you have no evidence for the assumption that
these old Solaris compilers are the only live platform with the problem.
Yeah, we wish our buildfarm covered everything of interest, but it does
not.  Maybe, if we get to beta2 without any additional reports of build
failures on beta1, that would be a bit of evidence that nobody else cares
--- but we have no such evidence right now.  We certainly can't assume
that any pre-v12 release provides evidence of that, because up till
I retired pademelon, it was forcing us to keep this case supported.

            regards, tom lane

В списке buildfarm-members по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: FullTransactionId changes are causing portability issues
Сообщение: Re: FullTransactionId changes are causing portability issues