Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 10:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> One of pgfoundry's explicit purposes is for backports of features.

> I can't think of any contrib modules we've added that also required
> backwards comptible modules to be released on foundry at the same
> time.  ISTM that such a requirement would be an argument that such a
> thing doesn't belong in contrib at all.

AFAICT there isn't any market for a backport of txid.  Slony won't
depend on it before their next release, which will require PG >= 8.3
for other reasons.  Skytools already has an internal version in their
existing releases.  And the code won't work before PG 8.2 so any
backport couldn't go very far anyway.

So while Andrew's statement is true in general, I don't think
it's very relevant to a consideration of what to do with txid.