Re: Change the bool member of the Query structure to bits

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Change the bool member of the Query structure to bits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@yeah.net> writes:
> The Query structure has an increasing number of bool attributes. This is
> likely to increase in the future. And they have the same properties.
> Wouldn't it be better to store them in bits? Common statements don't use
> them, so they have little impact. This also saves memory space.

I'm -1 on that, for three reasons:

* The amount of space saved is quite negligible.  If queries had many
Query structs then it could matter, but they don't.

* This causes enough code churn to create a headache for back-patching.

* This'll completely destroy the readability of these flags in
pprint output.

I'm not greatly in love with the macro layer you propose, either,
but those details don't matter because I think we should just
leave well enough alone.