Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases
Дата
Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Now, having said that, I'm starting to wonder again why it's worth our
>> trouble to fool with encoding-specific incrementers. �The exactness of
>> the estimates seems unlikely to be improved very much by doing this.

> Well, so the problem is that the frequency with which the algorithm
> fails altogether seems to be disturbingly high for certain kinds of
> characters.  I agree it might not be that important to get the
> absolutely best next string, but it does seem important not to fail
> outright.  Kyotaro Horiguchi gives the example of UTF-8 characters
> ending with 0xbf.

[ thinks for a bit ... ]  Yeah, it's certainly true that such a
character might be relatively small in the overall sort order.  The
assumption underlying what we're doing now is that dropping the last
character and incrementing the next-to-last one instead isn't terribly
catastrophic from an estimation accuracy standpoint.  I can see that
there are cases where that would fail to be true, but I'm not exactly
convinced that they're worse than all the other cases where we'll get
a poor estimate.

Anyway, I won't stand in the way of the patch as long as it's modified
to limit the number of values considered for any one character position
to something reasonably small.

Сообщение: Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases
Сообщение: Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases