RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

От Matthew
Тема RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?
Дата
RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
> > The bottom line is that the marketing of PostgreSQL is not even close to
> > that of MySQL.  Thank god the code, community and support doesn't follow
> > suit!
>
> I think MySQL got a big start by migrating mSQL users years ago and
> having a compatibility module for mSQL.

    [Matthew]  Would it make sense for postgre to have a mysql
compatibility module?  An add on package (perhaps in contrib) that would add
many of the functions that mysql has that postgre does not.  I know this
couldn't cover everything, but it could probably make it much easier to port
an app written against mysql to postgre.  I have seen several posts on these
lists about someone attempting to port some app to postgre, and now knowing
how to find the postgre equivelant of some mysql function.

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Open Source Article
От: "Dominic J. Eidson"
Сообщение: Re: Problems with starting Postgres