BUG #18392: Can't restore database (using pg_restore) after latest Feb 8 update

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #18392: Can't restore database (using pg_restore) after latest Feb 8 update
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      18392
Logged by:          Carl Smith
Email address:      carl@msupply.foundation
PostgreSQL version: 14.11
Operating system:   MacOS

We regularly save snapshots of our app state using pg_dump and restore them
with pg_restore. However, after the latest update (12.18 etc), we can no
longer use pg_restore to restore the database -- it  just throws a bunch of
errors, mainly to do with tables not existing (that should exist).

The command we've been dumping with is:
`pg_dump -U postgres tmf_app_manager --format=custom -f
output_folder/database.dump`

And restoring with:
`pg_restore -U postgres --clean --if-exists --dbname tmf_app_manager
output_folder/database.dump`

This seems to have become a problem with ALL of the recent (Feb 8) minor
updates -- I can restore fine with 12.17, 14.10, 15.5 etc, but get the
identical failures with 12.18, 14.11, 15.6 etc. So currently there is no
"current" version we can use, which is frustrating as most repos only offer
the latest minor version (easily anyway), so it's become very
difficult/impossible to set up on a new system.

I presume there is something about our database state that is "illegal" in
some way with respect to the new updates, but we have no way to know what
exactly the problem is. Reading through the release notes doesn't offer any
insight.

I'm happy to share a copy of one of our database dumps in order to
demonstrate the problem.